Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Go set a watchman- Review


Reading Harper Lee's sequel to To Kill a Mockingbird only led me to compare it the one I had first read. Go Set a Watchman came off unfavourably. Yet, it has its moments.
The ones that shine are still the childhood snippets. Harper Lee's unique, deft style, still kept me reading. The story was too thin for my taste.
It is sure to take you on a nostalgia trip. Why can't we ever resist sequels? We just can't bear to let go of old friends, even if means settling for crumbs of their former selves.
I had first read To Kill a Mockingbird as a child, and perhaps as the protagonist was a child, I loved the book.

As an adult now, reading about the adult Scout, I processed the novel differently. The philosophical parts, the autobiographical parts jumped out at me.
The book is a little too Southern. To Kill a Mockingbird dealt with more universal issues. Think this book would have benefited from better editing. The rambling parts could have been cut out. The plot could have been made stronger.
Guess the publisher didn't want to rock the boat. Lee would have been quite capable of telling them to stuff it. And then they would've had to kiss millions goodbye...which they were obviously never going to do.

No comments: